From the Principal
Mount Vernon holds a special place in Michael Vicario's heart as he was born and raised in this city and community.
He began his professional educational career as an elementary and middle school teacher, teaching 5th and 6th grade, before accepting his first principal position for a Pre-Kindergarten to 8th Grade Elementary School in Yonkers, NY. Earning his Bachelors of Arts Degree in Mass Communications from Iona College, Masters of Science in Elementary Education from Iona College, and an Advanced Certificate Degree in School Building Leadership from the College of New Rochelle, education has always been at the forefront of his personal and professional goals. As an administrator, he never forgot what it was like to be in the classroom and he developed a positive relationship with the staff because they know that he is truly an educator. He enjoys the challenges of education, working with teachers, parents, and students, and the opportunities to make education happen for each student. His administrative experience lies in overseeing areas such as staff recruiting, financial and budget administration, community partnership building, and policy implementation to achieve improved academic performance and student experiences.
From conceptualizing and establishing forward-thinking development plans to collaborating with teachers and staff to achieve consensus across multiple levels, developing strategic enhancements to drive goal achievement while communicating openly and collaboratively with teachers, staff, and parents. Highlights of his experience include the following:
· Mentoring and supporting teachers in creating and implementing high-impact learning environments, lesson materials, student assessments and innovation.
· Facilitating professional development initiatives in alignment with school and district goals to enhance the quality of teachers’ instructional delivery and the professional culture in the building.
· Developing and implementing policies, initiatives, and systems to continually boost efficiency, performance, and collaboration.
· Cultivating an environment of trust and transparency by fostering honest communication among students, teachers, parents, and district leadership.
· Developing students’ social and emotional development while maintaining a rigorous academic learning environment.
His Principalship began in September 2019 for the MVCSD for the amazing new Pre-Kindergarten to 8th Grade School, Nelson Mandela/Dr. Hosea Zollicoffer School.
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! It is with great enthusiasm that we are all excited to welcome our students and staff back to school. It has been a very productive summer at the Nelson Mandela/Dr. Hosea Zollicoffer School for those students who attended our Summer Learning Academy. We hope that you were able to relax and make special memories with your friends and families. Now it is time to look forward to a wonderful new school year!